Total Pageviews

Monday, January 2, 2017

Legal Holiday

***

Today is a legal holiday, you know, because in no civilized society would we simply say to government workers, bankers and the Post Office that the first of the year falls on a Sunday and so like the Quakers say, "tough oats." We put up with it.

We put up with it because it gives us all an extra day to drink and watch football... It's sort of an American obligation, really, and I didn't mind doing my merry part.

So for the second day in a row, I began my morning activity by fumbling around in my sister's medicine cabinet, looking for the ibuprofen.

Two days in a row, I noticed, she still twists the childproof cap on the pill bottle after she closes it. Even though there is no child here anymore, and has not been for almost a year and a half.

Being a mom is a hard habit to be broken of.

I don't know what else to say, here on the second first day of the New Year. My words fail me, so I'll borrow some from a great American (one who never took a day off, legal or otherwise), General George S. Patton:

May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't.

pH o1.o2.17

***